Loan Scam – firstname.lastname@example.org – rapidloan.co.za
The below loan scam email was sent to an email address that exists only to catch scam emails. It has never been used to register on any site, only to communicate with scammers.
from: RapidLoan (Pty) Ltd <email@example.com> via amazonses.com
RapidLoan (Pty) Ltd
486 Rossouw St
De Wilgers, Pretoria 0082
Monday – Friday
Clicking on the “Apply Now” link takes the victim to the website rapidloan.co.za. The website has no physical contact details, just a contact form.
WhoIs details for rapidloan.co.za:
Creation Date: 2015-12-21T08:07:00Z Registry Expiry Date: 2018-12-21T08:07:00Z Registrant Name: Bertus Vosloo Registrant Organization: Registrant Street: 99 O' Reilly Merry rd, Rynfield Registrant City: Benoni Registrant State/Province: Gauteng Registrant Postal Code: 1501 Registrant Country: ZA Registrant Phone: +27.791672925 Registrant Phone Ext: Registrant Fax: Registrant Fax Ext: Registrant Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why is this a loan scam?
- It was sent from a totally different domain to the one used for the website and via yet another domain.
- The email was mass-mailed to many recipients using BCC.
- The email gives little text, just an image (a tactic often used by spammers to avoid filters).
- The lender claims to be in South Africa, yet is emailing people worldwide.
- The website has no physical contact details, just a form. Legitimate businesses tell their customers where they are and give them phone numbers and emails to contact them on.