Loan Scam – email@example.com
The below loan scam email was sent to an email address that exists only to catch scam emails. It has never been used to register on any site, only to communicate with scammers.
Received: from [172.20.10.10] (unknown [184.108.40.206]) Subject: MUST READ (GUARANTEED OPPORTUNITY) To: [Redacted] From: <firstname.lastname@example.org> Reply-To: email@example.com
Do you plan to start or expand a business but lack funding to implement the desired project? Here is a funding offer for startup and expanding companies seeking financial assistance.
We have funding available from $10,000 to $10,000,000
IP Address Analysis
ipTRACKERonline.com Header Analysis Quick Report Originating IP: 220.127.116.11 Originating ISP: Telkom-internet City: Johannesburg Country of Origin: South Africa * For a complete report on this email header goto ipTRACKERonline
Why is this a loan scam?
- It was sent from a totally different email address to the one that you are asked to reply to.
- The email address used is a free Gmail address.
- The telephone number used is a mobile phone. Legitimate businesses have proper landline numbers, not mobile or VoIP.
- The email gives no indication of who is offering the loan, where they are based or who they are regulated by.
- The ridiculous upper amount of loan being offered.
- The email originated from South Africa, which is a known Advance Fee Fraud hotspot.